musings

bismillah...

i keep wondering and wondering why and how I chose to be a muslim. It seems to hard. If I was to live in an islamic country, or would be married to a muslim, that would probbly explain things - it would make life a lot easier.
But instead, I appear to have made life more difficult (by choice that is, and this makes it just more incomprehensible)

I'm a bit of a thinker and philosopher myself, and not easily deceived. If there is SOMETHING wrong, I will usually sniff it out and leave it alone. Or at least I think it is. (I'm my own worst analyst and critic.)

For example I once made the Mensa entry test a couple of years ago, however I opted not to be part of Mensa as I didn't want to have that "Mensa" label however honourable it might look on a CV. Managing the (weirdest of all) entry test was enough for me.

It seemed to me paradox at that time that a supposedly intelligent person wants to participate in a society that does not want to judge but obviously aims to place it's members above the normal civilisation (I might arrogantly mention here that I can pick up arrogant attitutes quite well, lol).

I have many labels, starting above all from being a human, then a female, German, immigrant, all of these tell something about what and who I am but not necessarily in a bad, judging way.

Now I have the label Muslim attached to me, too, and as soon as I wear the hijab scarf, it's even quite a visible label (believe me brothers, I would LOVE to wear a beard instead and given enough time it would physiologically be possible, lol).

It's not the label "Muslim" itself, it's the other labels that people associate with it, such as being fanatic, terrorist, strange, unloving, uncaring, dirty, strangely dressed. Hmmm.
Maybe these labels do match with some people, but not with others and I do think, certainly not with me.
The sub-labels that I prefer with it are truth seeking, community orientated, peaceful, interested, God fearing, willing to learn....

but what are the true sub-labels of a muslim (non-subjective)?

8 comments:

Regular Baba said...

Salam Sabirah

Couple of comments. Many people, if not the majority, of muslims living in muslim (not Islamic) countries take Islam for granted, and don't get the beauty of it, or how fortunate they are. I have heard, for example, that some Saudi women (not all by any means) take their hijabs off as soon as they are on the plane. Part of this, as we dsicussed previously, is because in Saudi, the onus of Islamic education is to teach rules, rather than the beauty of Islam.

As far as 'labels' are concerned, the best thing to do is to ignore what other people think, and simply go thru all the charcteristics of the Prophet(SAW). Kind, merciful, lenient, humble, loving, family-orientated, Allah fearing, full of consideration for others, selfless, patient, charitable... we can go on and on. If non muslims do not associate these lables with muslims,then either (i) they have come across muslims without these characteristics, or (ii) they have been blinded by neagtive media potrayls of muslims.

Sabirah said...

ah well, there has been a lot of bad media about Germans! I remember the case Marwa al Sherbini recently that was so hilariously badly covered on Al Jazeera. Same thing different background.

Amy said...

Good neighbor, environmental or green, family-oriented, gentle/kind.

Let's re-brand Islam! :-)

Sabirah said...

rebranding! yes that's a good idea! But is it re-branding really or just the true brand? nothing new really
No bid'ah needed for that I reckon...!?

Unknown said...

Salaam Aleykom Sabirah,

As a convert, I know how it can be. InshaAllah it will get easier for you as time goes by, right now you probably have a lot of emotions at work. It's important to surround yourself with people who support you and, preferably, follow the same path as you. Also, this is such a great time for us to get the word out (by our actions) as to what Islam really is! If we all followed the example of our beloved Prophet (pbuh) then we could definitely show non-Muslims the beauty that is Islam.

Sabirah said...

wa aleykum asalam Toni, jazhakallah for ur comment!
true...I have many shortcomings when it comes to follow the example of the Prophet saw, I feel I'm so far away from it as one can possibly be (do women strive for that at all or do they have to aim for a "lesser goal" such as follow the example of a wife of the Prophet?).
But, at least I give it a go, and still I stick with the matter. Islam is beautiful, if all muslims would just be one on this and show this to the world. On the other side, there are confused christians, buddhists, atheists etc... we have a clear and straight path, why is it so difficult?

Regular Baba said...

"I feel I'm so far away from it as one can possibly be"

Kind, merciful, lenient, humble, loving, family-orientated, full of consideration for others, selfless, patient, charitable

Hmm, that sounds a lot like you....

Sabirah said...

Lol Hamayoun I think you have posted to the wrong blog...

Post a Comment